Thursday, September 28, 2006

It's Been So Long

This is Kris at the reigns. I've been away from a computer for the past six days (and still not home) and Nick has been traveling with work.

The trip I'm currently on involves three stops: first was the retreat with the youth group, then the NC Synod convocation, and now I'm visiting my parents and grandmother for a couple of days. Because I was short on time and had more than one event to prepare for, I forgot many things I should have packed. One item I forgot was the business cards for The Normies that I was going to hand out to people at the synod convo. Oops. Fortunately I was able to reconnect with many colleagues and I believe that a future mention in the synod eNews will grab the attention of the others.

At the synod convo I was able to have a jam session with many other parish workers two nights in a row. I must say that a few of them are excellent guitarists. If I were able to devote time everyday to learning more about guitar technique, it would still be well over a year before I am at a comparable level to them. Also, they have decades of songs memorized - it will take me the same length of time to memorize as many songs as them. Regardless, it was a lot of fun, I learned a lot, and I think it helped a bit for future networking of The Normies. A great friend and fellow youth worker, Leslie, sort of put together the jam session. She has a great voice and enjoys playing the guitar as well, so I asked if she would join Nick and I for a few songs whenever she can make it to a performance. One song Leslie and I spoke at length about her singing is What's Up? by the 4 Non-Blondes.

A friend through college, Heather, has connections at The Lutheran Magazine and she is writing a short article about this past year's fundraising and the Ironman I did for the ELCA World Hunger Appeal. I received a rough copy of the article yesterday in my email and it mentions what Nick and I are doing. I've requested that part be included in the final edition, but Heather has already told me that decision is up to her editor.

Tonight I'll give a short, solo performance for our biggest fans: my father, mother, and grandmother. :)

~ Make a joyful noise to the Lord.

2 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The business cards are a good idea. It's discreet and it gets attention when done well. I have a book that I got a few months ago (called D.I.Y)that shows various ways of communicating messages that might be interesting for getting the word out on The Normies. You can find it for sale online pretty easily.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Nick and Kris said...

Thanks for the heads up, Steve! I'll definitely look into the D.I.Y book.

I'll post on it later, but yesterday I received a call that confirmed our first booking!

~Kris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger